I recently saw this on The Today Show and I thought, how great would it be if eating your vegetables could be like eating pizza?
To start, you don't even need to chop up a head of cauliflower, although you could if it made you feel better. Cauliflower is now available all chopped up for you in a microwaveable bag.
Just steam it in the bag and let it cool on some paper towels.
Put the cauliflower in a bowl and add all the other ingredients.
Beat it with a mixer until it all comes together.
Shape the dough on a piece of parchment into a 10" - 12" round. Place the parchment and dough on top of a cooling rack which is sitting on top of a baking sheet. You need to get some air circulation around the dough so the crust gets crispy. A crispy crust is key.
Bake the crust at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes. Like I said, you want the crust to get crispy.
After the crust cools, slide the crust, which is on the cooking rack, off of the cookie sheet and put down a clean piece of parchment. Carefully invert the clean parchment and cookie sheet over the crust and do a quick inversion. The crispy top of the crust is now the crispy bottom of the crust.
Top the crust with your favorite pizza toppings and bake for another 12 - 14 minutes. Don't get sidetracked looking for a nice vacation spot in Naples, or your cheese might turn just a teensy bit too brown. Don't ask me how I know this.
Now, I'm not going to say that you absolutely can't tell that there is cauliflower in this crust, but it really tastes like pizza! the thickness of the crust gives the pizza some heft and makes even a single slice fairly filling. The daughter agrees. It's a keeper!
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
1 16 ounce bag chopped cauliflower
1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper
1/2 cup corn meal
- Tear the microwave pouch at the notch. Close bag and microwave for 4 minutes
- Let stand one minute and pour out cauliflower to cool on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix until combined.
- Place mixture on a piece of parchment and form into a 10" - 12" round.
- Put parchment and crust on a wire cooling rack and a cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Carefully flip the crust onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment.
- Top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake for an additional 12 - 14 minutes or until toppings are hot and cheese is melted.