Seven Layer Salad


My Little Peanut turned 13 this month and this was her birthday dinner request:  turkey, stuffing, cheesy potatoes, green bean casserole, cranberries and 7-layer salad.  Sigh. I remember when all she wanted was Macaroni and Cheese and Hot Dogs.

Anna loves 7-Layer Salad.  It's the reason that I'm bringing it to not one, but TWO Thanksgiving dinners this year!  Someday she will be going to go off to college and I won't be there to make 7-Layer Salad for her.  That's why I am recording this recipe.  I am recording this recipe in case she goes off to college and just has to have 7-Layer Salad, but when she tries to call me, I have my phone turned off because I'm in a Hot Yoga class or I'm finding my inner Rembrandt or her dad and I are at a movie. On a school night.  By ourselves.  Oh, wait.  I'll still have more kids at home.  I guess that won't be happening.


If you haven't figured it out, 7-Layer Salad is sort of a general term.  There may or may not be seven layers.  It depends on how you count them.  For instance, if you don't count the second layer of lettuce, the sprinkle of sugar or the garnish on top, you are right at seven layers.  Otherwise, we'll just call it an estimation.  If you like lots of dressing and not a lot of veggies, just use a wide, shallow bowl.  If you like bacon, throw that in as well.  This is just how we make it.  Mommy loves you, sweetie! I'll call you back as soon as I'm done finding myself!



Seven Layer Salad
by Rachel @ Simple Girl

1 head iceberg Lettuce, chopped (it holds its crunch when it sits overnight)
5 green onions, chopped (reserve 1 for garnish)
1 can of sliced water chestnuts, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, diced
2 cups frozen green peas
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (reserve 1/4 cup for garnish)
1-2  cups Miracle Whip Light (It's what we like. Don't judge me.)
1 tablespoon sugar

Place half of the chopped iceberg lettuce in the bottom of a clear bowl.  Follow the layers as listed.  When you get to the top layer of lettuce, sprinkle with sugar and then add the cheese.  Put enough Miracle on the top to cover the cheese.  Lay it on thickly if you really like it!  Garnish with more cheese and green onions.  Refrigerate, covered, overnight.


THIS POST MAY BE LINKED TO: MONDAYS MADE BY YOU MONDAY, FLOUR ME WITH LOVEMANIC MONDAYTUESDAYSTALENT SHOW TUESDAYS,TRICK OR TREAT TUESDAY ,  MANDY'S RECIPE BOX  WEDNESDAYS: WORKS FOR ME WEDNESDAY, GINGER SNAP CRAFTSTHE DIY DREAMER  THURSDAYS: FULL PLATE THURSDAYS , CHIC & CRAFTY PARTYLAMBERTS LATELY,FRIDAYS: I’M LOVING IT, FOODIE FRIDAYFOOD ON FRIDAYS, TATERTOTS AND JELLO,   SHINE ON FRIDAYSFRIDAY FAVORITES, BACON TIME , KITCHEN FUN WITH MY THREE SONS, WEEKEND RETREAT PINWORTHY PROJECTS SATURDAYS:SWEETS FOR A SATURDAY SIX SISTERS STUFFSUNDAYS: NIFTY THRIFTY THINGS





Comments

Miz Helen said…
I just love a Seven Layer Salad it is so pretty. Thanks so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday and enjoy your Thanksgiving week!
Come Back Soon
Miz Helen

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia