Day 4 - The Dinner Miracle

So, it has now been well over a week since I have been to the grocery store.  The way I see it, the best way to save money is not to go to the store at all!  As I was looking in the pantry for dinner inspiration, I saw two cans of green chile enchilada sauce.  I have no idea why I bought them.  I have never made enchiladas with green chile sauce before, nor any green chili sauce recipe, for that matter.  It did, however, seem like a good starting point.  I looked at the back of the can for a recipe and found one.  The Creamy Chicken and Chile Enchilada recipe called for 1 pound uncooked chicken breast strips (I found a bag of frozen cooked turkey circa Thanksgiving 2009 - check!), 2 cans of green chile enchilada sauce (check), one package of cream cheese (check - leftover from a cream cheese frosting recipe), 1 can of chopped green chiles (no check, but to me, this seemed like an optional item), one package of flour tortillas (I found two opened packages that seemed to equal one), and 3/4 cup shredded cheese (check!).  I actually had all the ingredients I needed to complete the recipe!


I followed the directions, and voila!  One nice, bubbly, cheesy pan of enchiladas!



Everyone in the family (except Ella) ate them which qualifies this recipe as a success!  My husband (whose mother makes the world's best enchiladas) even complimented me on this new version.



It was indeed a dinner miracle!

Creamy Chicken & Chile Enchiladas

1 lb. uncooked chicken breast strips
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, cut into cubes
1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chiles 
1 package (10.5 oz.) flour tortillas for soft tacos and fajitas (6 inch)
2 cans green chili enchilada sauce
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

  1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray 13 x 9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
  2. In a non-stick skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until no longer pink in the center.  Stir in cream cheese and chiles (I put in 1/2 of a can of green chili enchilada sauce); reduce heat to medium.  Cook and stir until blended and cream cheese is melted.
  3. Spoon chicken filling onto tortillas; roll up and place seam sides down in baking dish.  Pour enchilada sauce over top; sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and cheese is melted.


Comments

jhand said…
I love your 30 day challenge idea! We just went nearly 2 weeks without a trip to the grocery store. It is amazing how we can often look at a pantry full of food and say we have nothing to eat. There is really plenty there if we will look at it from a different perspective.
Two weeks? Wow! Now I have another challenge! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Butter Bean Soup

Dr. Seuss Snacks!

Candy Cornucopia